Home » District of Nazareth: Tzippori, Al-Mujaydil, Maalul, Indur by Books LLC
District of Nazareth: Tzippori, Al-Mujaydil, Maalul, Indur Books LLC

District of Nazareth: Tzippori, Al-Mujaydil, Maalul, Indur

Books LLC

Published May 31st 2010
ISBN : 9781156215364
Paperback
34 pages
Enter the sum

 About the Book 

Chapters: Tzippori, Al-Mujaydil, Maalul, Indur. Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 33. Not illustrated. Free updates online. Purchase includes a free trial membership in the publishers book club where you can select from more than a million books withoutMoreChapters: Tzippori, Al-Mujaydil, Maalul, Indur. Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 33. Not illustrated. Free updates online. Purchase includes a free trial membership in the publishers book club where you can select from more than a million books without charge. Excerpt: Tzippori (Hebrew: ), also known as Sepphoris, Dioceserea and Saffuriya (Arabic:, also transliterated Safurriya and Suffurriye) is located in the central Galilee region, 6 kilometers (4 mi) north-northwest of Nazareth, in modern-day Israel. The site holds a rich and diverse historical and architectural legacy that includes Assyrian, Hellenistic, Judean, Babylonian, Roman, Byzantine, Islamic, Crusader, Arabic and Ottoman influences. Interest on the part of Biblical archaeologists is related to the belief in Christian tradition that the parents of the Virgin Mary, Anna and Joachim, were natives of Sepphoris, which at the time was a Hellenized town. Other notable structures include a Roman theater, two early Christian Churches, a Crusader fortress that was renovated by Daher El-Omar in the 18th century, and some 40 mosaics. Tzippori once served as a center of Jewish religious and spiritual life in the Galilee and remains of a 6th century synagogue have been uncovered in the lower section of the city. In the 7th century, it came under the rule of the Arab caliphates like much of the rest of Palestine. Successive Arab and Islamic imperial authorities ruled the area until the end of the first World War I, with a brief interruption during the Crusades. Until the forcible expulsion of its inhabitants by Israeli forces in 1948-1949, Saffuriya was an Arab village. The Israeli moshav Tzippori was established adjacent to the site in 1949, and the area occupied by the former Arab village was designated a national park in 1992. Moshav Tzippori falls under the jurisdiction of Jezreel Valley Regional Council, and in 2006 had a population of 616. Although the date of the citys es...More: http: //booksllc.net/?id=1388694